Call Us 718-568-9289

New York child custody: Modifying parenting plans

Parents in New York who are going through the divorce process will have to create parenting plans in order to ensure the best interests of their children are protected. These plans contain information about financial support, child custody, special needs and ground rules for communication -- among other things. After these detailed plans are created, can all or parts of them ever be adjusted?

While the initial hope is that a parenting plan will last for at least several years, if not until a child is grown, there are reasons as to why one or both parents may need to make adjustments. Changes in circumstances do happen, generally when they are least expected. Things such as unemployment, salary reduction or illness -- among other things -- can have a drastic impact on one's life.

So, how does one go about getting all or part of a parenting plan modified? Modifications to custody, support or other aspects of a parenting plan will have to be requested in court. The parent who is requesting the adjustment will have to file the appropriate petition and will likely have to provide a new plan for the court's consideration.

If both parents agree to the proposed modifications, getting court approval should not be too difficult. However, if one parent disagrees with the wanted adjustment, achieving a modification of child custody, support or any other aspect of a parenting plan can prove to be a bit of a challenge. An experienced family law attorney can help parents in New York take the steps necessary to achieve parenting plans that serve their interests and the best interests of their children.

Source:, "When Life Happens: Making Changes To Your Parenting Plan", Feb. 2, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Law Offices of Eli Yeger
16 Court Street
Suite 2006
Brooklyn, NY 11241

Phone: 718-568-9289
Fax: 718-802-0276
Map & Directions